(originally published on August 28, 2012)
Sunday was a gorgeous day in Ptown. Perfect for walking into town in the morning, no one around. People were either sleeping off their Saturday night, at the beach, or hanging out with the Vice President who was at the Pilgrim Monument for a fundraiser. I took a ton of photos, bought a space hat for my costume for the Space Camp Party at Camp Mighty, and grabbed an iced coffee to drink on the deck of the Aqua Bar while watching the boats move in and out of the harbor and the sun sparkling on the water. Although I could feel the weight of summer ending and the deep sadness that always accompanies it, late August can be pretty amazing.
In a couple of weeks, Ptown will hold it's 25th annual Swim for Life. As part of the celebration, 2,500 prayer ribbons collected over the years are displayed in front of the town library. Each one is dedicated to someone who has been honored, both in life and in death. Most have died from AIDS. I took some time out of my morning to photograph them and read through the messages. I'd like to share a few with all of you.
This Month ...
- celebrate the opening of The Red Inn for the season
- wear my new facinator to Harbor Lounge's annual Derby Party
- hike with a Massachusetts Audubon guide through the backwoods of Truro and Wellfleet
- listen to Monica Lewinsky and Ari Melber discuss stuff in the Hawthorne Barn
- experience several artist open houses at Twenty Summers
- get our annual townie passes for Tea Dance
- have our first meal of the season at Moby Dick's and Terra Luna and the Nor'East Beer Garden and Front Street and Mistralino and The Mayflower and ...
- take the moms out to brunch at a new to us place up Cape
- plant everything in our garden and on the deck (HOORAY!)
- figure out how to watch Eurovision this year (since Logo is not airing it!)
- enjoy all the free food at the annual JD's/Saki opening party (our favorite!)
- check out some of the events during Ptown Fashion Week
- pray for a cancellation for JURY DUTY
- explore Falmouth and finally try that lobster ice cream
- collect boxes of stuff to donate for the town's Monumental Yard Sale
- start buying fresh produce at the Wellfleet Farmers Market and filling my glass bottles at the Green Road Refill bus
- see some films in the Jamaican Film Festival
- enjoy our annual Lunch with Ezra at The Canteen (and the start of Boston friends visiting Ptown)
- buy some tubers at the Dahlia Sale
- do a night climb at Highland Light
- get up in the middle of the night to buy all the things in Target's Vineyard Vines collection
- bite my nails while watching the Game of Thones finale
- go to the Rhododendron Festival in Sandwich
- shiver through our first day at the POOL
- view the LASER RAINBOW that will be back again for Pride Weekend