(originally published on September 17, 2012)
I've been dragging my feet. I don't really want to post my last summer-themed topics. Sigh. Here goes ...
Last weekend was Summer Extension Weekend, which is filled with rituals we've developed to close out the season. One of the most important ones is cheering on the swimmers who participate in the Swim for Life. And this year was the 25th anniversary so there were lots of swimmers and lots of cheerleaders to help us with our closing weekend. Some scenes form the morning ...
They added flags to help the swimmers know where to go when they reach land. Definitely helpful! I've seem them come ashore up and down the coastline.
This is my friend, JR, who had a friend swimming again this year.
The drum section leading the cheers.
So great to see so many people participating (with the landmark Pilgrim Monument in the background.)
Gorgeous blue sky day!
This instagrammed photo is my best shot of the actual swimmers. It was such a low tide that they hit sand far out into the harbor. JR and I thought they should have to sprint to the waterline. This is a sporty event! Run!
Towards the end of the pack, the kayakers who guide the swimmers start to land on shore.
And the surest sign of the end of the Swim ...
This Month ...
- celebrate the opening of The Red Inn for the season
- wear my new facinator to Harbor Lounge's annual Derby Party
- hike with a Massachusetts Audubon guide through the backwoods of Truro and Wellfleet
- listen to Monica Lewinsky and Ari Melber discuss stuff in the Hawthorne Barn
- experience several artist open houses at Twenty Summers
- get our annual townie passes for Tea Dance
- have our first meal of the season at Moby Dick's and Terra Luna and the Nor'East Beer Garden and Front Street and Mistralino and The Mayflower and ...
- take the moms out to brunch at a new to us place up Cape
- plant everything in our garden and on the deck (HOORAY!)
- figure out how to watch Eurovision this year (since Logo is not airing it!)
- enjoy all the free food at the annual JD's/Saki opening party (our favorite!)
- check out some of the events during Ptown Fashion Week
- pray for a cancellation for JURY DUTY
- explore Falmouth and finally try that lobster ice cream
- collect boxes of stuff to donate for the town's Monumental Yard Sale
- start buying fresh produce at the Wellfleet Farmers Market and filling my glass bottles at the Green Road Refill bus
- see some films in the Jamaican Film Festival
- enjoy our annual Lunch with Ezra at The Canteen (and the start of Boston friends visiting Ptown)
- buy some tubers at the Dahlia Sale
- do a night climb at Highland Light
- get up in the middle of the night to buy all the things in Target's Vineyard Vines collection
- bite my nails while watching the Game of Thones finale
- go to the Rhododendron Festival in Sandwich
- shiver through our first day at the POOL
- view the LASER RAINBOW that will be back again for Pride Weekend