(originally published on September 17, 2012)
I've been dragging my feet. I don't really want to post my last summer-themed topics. Sigh. Here goes ...
Last weekend was Summer Extension Weekend, which is filled with rituals we've developed to close out the season. One of the most important ones is cheering on the swimmers who participate in the Swim for Life. And this year was the 25th anniversary so there were lots of swimmers and lots of cheerleaders to help us with our closing weekend. Some scenes form the morning ...
They added flags to help the swimmers know where to go when they reach land. Definitely helpful! I've seem them come ashore up and down the coastline.
This is my friend, JR, who had a friend swimming again this year.
The drum section leading the cheers.
So great to see so many people participating (with the landmark Pilgrim Monument in the background.)
Gorgeous blue sky day!
This instagrammed photo is my best shot of the actual swimmers. It was such a low tide that they hit sand far out into the harbor. JR and I thought they should have to sprint to the waterline. This is a sporty event! Run!
Towards the end of the pack, the kayakers who guide the swimmers start to land on shore.
And the surest sign of the end of the Swim ...
This Month ...
- finally getting some Vitamin D poolside!
- wearing all my rainbow gear for Ptown's FIRST Pride weekend
- taking home locally gorwn foods from our farmers markets and roadside stands
- watching the rowers in Ptown's Coastal Regatta
- enjoying an interesting documentary during Ptown's Film Festival (20th year!)
- eating all the Portuguese foods during the Portuguese Festival
- watching the Blessing of the Fleet (an annual favorite of mine)
- celebrating the summer solstice in grand style
- finally seeing The Wailers after multiple attempts every summer
- listening to the speakers at Ptown's first TEDx
- whale watching before the summer gets away from me
- exploring Cape Cod Maritime Museum, Highland Museum, Cape Cod Potato Chip Factory, and the Edward Gorey House
- climb the Highland Light during sunset
- finish summerifying the house and deck