(originally published on April 10, 2013)
I've been reading this book* about a Scottish couple who bought a citrus farm in Mallorca (Or Majorca. Mallorca, Majorca. Potato, Potato.) It's been reminding me of our trip there, the first week of our honeymoon (the second was in Rome.) I had forgotten that I brought home some things from that trip that have just completely melted into our everyday lives.
Like the siurell below. No one seems to know the actual origin of these whistles but they are everywhere on the island. I bought mine in the city of Palma but the whistle part doesn't work. (I mean really, I was't about to test it before I bought it.) Ours sits next to the olive oil tin and the salt and pepper mills in our kitchen.
We saw this yellow and green patterned bowl in restaurants everywhere we went. It usually contained the aioli that was served with bread. I bought this smaller version in a total tourist trap place towards the end of the trip. I've used it pretty regularly when I want to feel like I'm eating something special -- just a few chunks of parmesan and a drizzle of honey or some olive oil with chili flakes for dipping bread.
And then I almost completely forgot about this bowl, even though I see it every day. It sits on the counter in our kitchen and holds our small collection of matchbooks. We took a wonderful trip to the northern coast of Mallorca through the blossoming orange groves, something I wrote about in an earlier post. This small bowl was found in a tiny pottery shop in Port de Soller, a just gorgeous little seaside town.
Sadly, I haven't been buying souvenirs like these in recent years on our travels. In fact, I rarely bring anything home with me anymore. But it's really important to meld your travel memories into your day to day life. I'm going to make an effort to start bringing things home with me again. Good thing, our next trip is this weekend!
*Book in question: Snowball Oranges by Peter Kerr, the first of five books about this family's adventures in Mallorca. Laugh out loud funny!
This Month ...
- finally getting some Vitamin D poolside!
- wearing all my rainbow gear for Ptown's FIRST Pride weekend
- taking home locally gorwn foods from our farmers markets and roadside stands
- watching the rowers in Ptown's Coastal Regatta
- enjoying an interesting documentary during Ptown's Film Festival (20th year!)
- eating all the Portuguese foods during the Portuguese Festival
- watching the Blessing of the Fleet (an annual favorite of mine)
- celebrating the summer solstice in grand style
- finally seeing The Wailers after multiple attempts every summer
- listening to the speakers at Ptown's first TEDx
- whale watching before the summer gets away from me
- exploring Cape Cod Maritime Museum, Highland Museum, Cape Cod Potato Chip Factory, and the Edward Gorey House
- climb the Highland Light during sunset
- finish summerifying the house and deck