(originally published on December 20, 2013)
Still catching up here! The Mr. and I joined our friends A and G in NYC last month. G was running the marathon and the rest of us were spectating. Who knew that it took so much plotting and planning and coordination to watch people run?
No sleep til Brooklyn!
And G finished under 4 hours!
And this is what we did while he was running 26 gazillion miles. Spectating like a boss.
Afterwards, we celebrated at Keen's. We went all out with oysters, thick-cut bacon slabs, steaks, sweets, drinks ... we had it all!
This, Scotch-lovers, is the Scotchy Scotch Scotch menu. All. Scotches.
And because we were all a little tipsy, we ended the night in the Ice Bar. Complete with man furs, sickly sweet drinks, and an empty wallet. That place robbed us blind. But we do have awesome photos!
The next day after A and G headed back home, we took an official tour of Grand Central Station.
I was bummed that The Campbell Apartment was closed for some sort of photo shoot, but we ended up in the Oyster Bar instead.
It really is the coolest place and I definitely recommend the official tour!
So we also did quite a bit of eating ... clockwise from upper left: 1. Carnegie Deli 2. warm poached pear salad at Robert 3. corned beef and egg sandwich at Carnegie Deli 4. bagels to go from Ess-a-Bagel 5. the super secret Burger Joint hidden in Le Parker Meridien
And, of course, we did some sightseeing. clockwise from upper left: 1. inside the Chrysler Building 2. the view from our hotel room at the Hilton, 3. the Empire State Building, 4. the Moleskine "store" -- so disappointed to find out it was a tiny kiosk, 5. view from the R Lounge onto Times Square
Thanks A and G for an awesome weekend! We had a blast!
For your own NYC travel planning, you can take a look at my Tripline with all the addresses and locations of places we visited, including some places not featured in this post. And I've already started a new one for the next trip. So, so much to do in that city!
This Month ...
- finally getting some Vitamin D poolside!
- wearing all my rainbow gear for Ptown's FIRST Pride weekend
- taking home locally gorwn foods from our farmers markets and roadside stands
- watching the rowers in Ptown's Coastal Regatta
- enjoying an interesting documentary during Ptown's Film Festival (20th year!)
- eating all the Portuguese foods during the Portuguese Festival
- watching the Blessing of the Fleet (an annual favorite of mine)
- celebrating the summer solstice in grand style
- finally seeing The Wailers after multiple attempts every summer
- listening to the speakers at Ptown's first TEDx
- whale watching before the summer gets away from me
- exploring Cape Cod Maritime Museum, Highland Museum, Cape Cod Potato Chip Factory, and the Edward Gorey House
- climb the Highland Light during sunset
- finish summerifying the house and deck